K-12 teachers are in very high demand right now, especially in certain subject and geographical areas. We want to connect you with those areas so that you can have the greatest impact as a teacher in Kansas.   

Current areas of high need in Kansas include the following:

Teacher showing student reading in book

Tuition reimbursement & loan cancellation

Many programs offer tuition reimbursement or loan cancellation. Check out the options below to see what’s available to you.

Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation

If you have served full-time in a public or nonprofit elementary or school system in the following roles, you may qualify for cancellation (discharge) of up to 100% of a Federal Perkins Loan:

  • Teacher in a school serving students from low-income families
  • Special education teacher, including teachers of infants, toddlers, children, or youth with disabilities
  • Teacher in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, or bilingual education, or in any other field of expertise determined by a state education agency to have a shortage of qualified teachers
Teacher playing blocks with students

Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness

While some educators may benefit from the Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program is eligible to any full-time staff member. The loan forgiveness amount is determined on an individual basis and is tax-free.  

Students engaged in class
Young children playing with blocks while teacher sits beside them

Kansas Teacher Service Scholarship

This scholarship is a merit-based service obligation program that provides financial assistance to both students in bachelor’s degree programs and currently licensed teachers pursuing endorsement or master’s degrees in hard-to-fill areas, as well as students and teachers planning to teach in an underserved geographic area. Recipients sign agreements to teach one year for each year of scholarship support in Kansas.

Student Financial Aid

Student financial aid includes grants, scholarships, and loans available through the federal and state government, private corporations, and philanthropic organizations. The Kansas Board of Regents is responsible for the administration of state-funded grants and scholarships. For more information on financial assistance, please contact the financial aid office at the school you wish to attend or contact the Kansas Board of Regents for more information.

Additional Resources

Inspiring Stories
10 Reasons to Get A Special Education Degree

Find in-demand teaching jobs

Explore the positions available right now throughout the state of Kansas.